Monday 21 July 2014

NB Rolling Wave

OK ... I've done the sums. I can sell my house, buy an acre or so to return to, buy a narrowboat for AU$80K and fund a comfortable 12 months cruising with AU$500/wk and have enough capital left over to build on the block when I return.

Sounds great eh !

In that, I give up my current position by the beach in outer metro Perth ... which is pretty choice and comfortable ... and post-GFC is once again appreciating at a good rate.

Plus ... there are two unresolved issues. I have a cat that is my entire family. I could leave her with friends or take her with me ... either way ... that would need to be sorted.

The other is that I have no-one (apart from Puss) to travel with. I have an ex that is interested but prefers France and Europe. Though, the last time I booked ... a different ex backed out at the last minute to pursue a relationship, thus forcing me to cancel everything, which left me about $2k out of pocket. As the saying goes, once burnt, twice shy.

 Now ... what am I getting to ???

Another boat review actually ... and now I know it's do-able, all be it unlikely, accompanied by an unresolved issue or two. The fact it is over my AU$80k budget is immaterial ... I can justify the extra in that nothing needs to be spent before setting off and at an asking price of GBP55,000 I can accommodate the additional outlay.




OK ... enough about me ... back to boats. I recently reviewed a boat named 'Bliss' which I notice has had a deposit taken. I didn't expect it to last.

This boat is at ABNB brokerage also.



It is a modern trad style with the boatman's cabin and walk-through engine room. Not my favourite configuration ... but "Rolling Wave" is only a tad above my conservative budget ... so "theoretically" it is do-able. Though it will sell reasonable quickly.

You can download the PDF brochure here.

Length: 57ft 0in

Build & Fitout: Canal Transport Services

Style: Trad with Boatmans Cabin

Year registered: 2003

Certification: BSS to 2015, RCD issued 2003

 Engine: Kelvin K2 diesel

Bow thruster: None

Plating: 10/6/5/4

Last out of water: March 2012

Water tank: 115gall (approx) polypropylene




The bow sports a nicely constructed cratch, well shaped and framed to retain it's form over time.


Nicely painted "livery" including roses and castles and a very traditional stern and deck.


Boatman's cabin with all the traditional adornments.






Very tidy and tasty engine room. I can live without one, but I could certainly live with this one.



A pump out loo and a full width bathroom, both of which are preferred by me.




Headroom: 6ft 4in, bmc 5ft 3in

Fit-out materials: Oak panels. Bmc traditionally scumbled & decorated by Dave Moore. Floors in carpet tiles except painted floorboards in bmc & Hexagrip in engine room

Insulation: Polystyrene

Berths: 4

Berth sizes: 6ft 6in x 4ft 2in permanent double crossbed in boatmans cabin, 6ft 10in x 3ft 9in double on L-shape dinette


Galley looking fore and aft - nicely appointed, light and workable. A great arrangement.






Dining area and second double bed when required.


Fridge: LEC 4cu ft 12V

Washer/dryer: None

WC: Sealand Vacuflush pump-out wc

Shower: over bath with laminated splashback

Cooker: Vanette built-in hob & oven - gas

Water heating: C/heating + engine + 230V immersion heater > calorifier

 Cabin heating: Alde gas c/heating > 3 rads, s/f stove, s/f range to bmc

 Mains 230V: Landline, Victron 2kW pure sine wave inverter/charger

 Other: Glazed cratch with zipped acrylic cover. Electric self pump-out kit.




Salon, looking aft ... and the heater.


All in all ... for a trad with engine room ... a good layout and priced to sell. It was built in 2003 and appears to have been maintained. It was nicely put together to begin with ... so this will become someone's pride and joy ... and quite soon I would think.





No comments:

Post a Comment